I guess maybe we should call it a shake, but let’s not get into a lexicon debate about the chocolate pumpkin smoothie. I’ve been playing around with the fall pumpkin smoothie (original recipe here), and this is my new favorite version. Amounts are not precise, but the ingredients are right, so have at it and get back to me.
Chocolate Pumpkin Smoothie
Blend up in your favorite blending device…
- 1 13-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 15-ounce can pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup hazelnut milk (or almond milk or milk milk or water)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 4–5 dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3–4 tablespoons chocolate protein powder (This is the first time I’ve ever used protein powder. It’s a hail-Mary to get my breakfasts rebooted. My naturopath suggested PurePaleo Protein Chocolate by Designs for Health, so I’m going with that.)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
I put my smoothie in a big glass jar and pour servings out for a few days. After I have it in the fridge for a day, I like to add some more hazelnut milk to thin it out. I find this especially delicious if the kids are down and it’s time to veg out on the couch with my husband and I need a treat. It feels kind of like a chocolate malt, with a Mexican chocolate-style kick.