Non-book club fans! I added a tab to the website where I’m putting my recommendations and yours, so we can easily find them. Check it out: This Is Not a Book Club. Back to the show…
I want impeachment news, but where to get it? For the past three years plus I’ve been tired of hearing white dudes talk to each other with a token minority around. Many of you were already tired of that years and decades ago, but I accepted the status quo in journalism unthinkingly for too long. The formality of mainstream news also entrenches the idea that things are normal when they’re not.
So in looking for analysis on impeachment, here are my two current recommendations. Please add your own. My criteria:
- Added knowledge on the process of impeachment and when it’s been used in the past.
- In-depth political and international background on what’s happening now, not just smart thoughts and feelings in front of a microphone.
- I’m not interested in debating whether impeachment is politically efficient or a smart strategic move.
I listened to five different impeachment episodes from five of my subscribed podcasts: In the Thick, The Breakdown with Shaun King, Intercepted, On One with Angela Rye, and End Times Podcast. Only two made the cut for me to highly recommend currently on the impeachment process.
“Journalists of color tell you what you’re missing from the mainstream news. Co-hosted by award-winning journalists Maria Hinojosa and Julio Ricardo Varela, IN THE THICK has the conversations about race, identity and politics few people are discussing or want to discuss.”
==> LISTEN: ITT Sound Off: Impeachable Moments
This episode is a must-listen because of ITT all-star guest and senior reporter at The Root Terrell Jermaine Starr. Terrell gives the best background and analysis on Ukraine that I’ve heard, going back through the Obama Administration.
“the most honest answers to the pressing political, racial, and pop culture questions of the day”
==> LISTEN: An UNPRESIDENTED Impeachment Argument
Ironically, Angela’s impeachment episode is from July. It’s still highly relevant. She breaks down when impeachment has been used in the past, gives the best and most concrete answer to what “high crimes and misdemeanors” means, and she breaks down all the impeachable offenses pre-Ukraine call.
- Angela’s episode in which she sits down with “The Squad” is a must-listen. Do it.
- Angela has a series of episodes in which she reads aloud the Mueller Report so more Americans have access to it. I haven’t listened to those, but that’s badass.